It’s one of the most representative Spanish meals, for a reason. It’s absolutely stunning, delicious and pairs with almost any food. Perfect for any occasion, you can have it either for lunch, dinner or even breakfast. Everyone loves it and you can always add your personal twist 😉
I’ve got in mind to do it sooner, for the #InternationalSpanishOmeletteDay, but i’ve been very busy… So last but not least “Tortilla de Patatas”.
Time: 60 minutes Portions: 6 ( 1 omelette)
- 5 medium size potatoes
- 1 onion
- 6 eggs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Peel the potatoes and wash them.
- Preheat the oil in a large pan.
- Cut into slices, not very thin and not very thick, and all of them the same. I know that’s not easy and takes time to nail it or a food processor 😛 Here is a cheating video
- Deep-fry them slowly. You don’t want them to go crispy, but don’t let them to fall apart either. My father did the best Spanish omelette that i’d ever taste it and he always told it takes time, patience and love to make the perfect omelette.
- While they are frying you can beat in a bowl the eggs. My ratio rule 1 🍠 2 🍳 and chopping the onion into dices (not to small)
- Take the potatoes out, when they are cooked and drain excess oil.
- Put them into the bowl, and mash them a little bit so they absorb part of the egg and let it rest, while you fry the onion.
- Here are my tricks to the perfect omelette.
- Leave in the frying pan like a tablespoon of oil for cooking the omelette.
- Cook 5 minutes each side, more or less, depending how cooked you like it. For flipping it, use a large plate.
- For a special twist, you can marry with allioli, i love caramelized pepper, tomate or onion.
- Enjoy it XD