This is my must know sponge cake, is very versatile, and it will be delicious with any topping, frosting or buttercream
- 240 gr plain flour – 2 cups
- 400 gr caster sugar – 2 cups
- 30 gr unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/4 cup You can skip it, if you want
- 240 ml vegetable oil – 1 cup
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml coffee (without cream or sugar) – 1/2 cup
- 240 ml buttermilk (substitutions )– 1 cup
- 5 ml White vinegar or Apple cider vinegar – 1 tsp
- 5 gr baking powder – 1 tsp
- 5 gr baking soda – 1 tsp
- 5gr salt – 1tsp
- Optional: 10 ml – 1dsp of any aromatic extract (eg.Vanilla)
- Optional: 5 gr – 1 tsp of any sweet spice
- Preheat the oven at 165 C – 325 F
- Separate solid ingredients from the liquid ones.
- In a bowl mix the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt and the cocoa powder.
- In another bowl mix the sugar and the vegetable oil
- In the second bowl mix the eggs, the buttermilk and the aromatic extract; until it’s smooth.
- Then add to the second bowl the coffee and the vinegar and mix it.
- Now very slowly and gently add little by little the second one into the first while you mix it.
- Butter and lightly dust the two molds with flour and shake the excess.
- Bake it for 40 minutes or until is done (trick)