This is a stunning cake, that everyone loves, not only kids, also grown-ups and it’s perfect for any occasion. Most important the sponge recipe is absolutely delicious, is the BEST EVER! i use it for every cake and for me is a MUST KNOW
Time: 60 minutes Portions: 10-12
Sponge Cake MUST KNOW
- 240 gr plain flour – 2 cups
- 400 gr caster sugar – 2 cups
- 30 gr unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- 240 ml vegetable oil – 1 cup
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml coffee (without cream or sugar) – 1/2 cup
- 240 ml buttermilk (substitutions )– 1 cup
- 5 ml White vinegar or Apple cider vinegar – 1 tsp
- 5 gr baking powder – 1 tsp
- 5 gr baking soda – 1 tsp
- 5gr salt – 1tsp
- Optional: 10 ml – 1dsp of any aromatic extract (eg.Vanilla)
- Optional: 5 gr – 1 tsp of any sweet spice
- 340gr unsalted butter – 1 1/2 cup
- 440 gr powdered sugar – 3 3/4 cup
- 70g unsweetened cocoa powder 2/3 cup
- 5 ml milk – 1tsp
- Optional: 5ml – 1tsp aromatic extract (eg. Vanilla)
- 300 gr or 2 bags, you can find in most supermarkets chocolate cereals balls that are usually cheaper
- Preheat the oven at 165 C – 325 F
- Separate solid ingredients from the liquid ones.
- In a bowl mix the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt and the cocoa powder
- In another bowl mix the sugar and the vegetable oil
- In the second bowl mix the eggs, the buttermilk and the aromatic extract; until it’s smooth.
- Then add to the second bowl the coffee and the vinegar and mix it.
- Now very slowly and gently add little by little the second one into the first while you mix it.
- Butter and lightly dust the two molds with flour and shake the excess
- Bake it for 40 minutes or until is done (trick)
- While it’s baking you can do the buttercream. Cream the butter until is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the cocoa powder and the sugar.
- Whip it, until it is smooth and lighten.
- Let the cake cool and frost it with the buttercream and decorate with the maltessers
- ENJOY IT 😉 😛